RE: [Nolug] Mac OS X to make an appearance at the next meeting.... maybe.

From: Joey Kelly <geek_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: 04 Nov 2002 07:04:26 -0600

All of this audio stuff sounds neat. I am wanting to start doing some
recording myself. I've got a pretty neat casio keyboard, and want to do
both midi and multitrack recordings. Aside from the old borrow-ware
Cakewalk I've got, I'd like to use linux/opensource software if at all
possible. Any of you blokes want to clue me in?

Thanks.

--Joey

On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 12:58, bad-magic-number wrote:

> > > Better chips under the hood. That, and I need that platform for
> > > OS 9.2.2 for use
> > > with music software I'll be using. Intels perform poorly when
> > > dealing with more
> > > than a few digital channels of audio when mixed.
> >
> > That must be then the audio software used.
> >
> > A friend of mine makes music and not so long time ago he recorder *LIVE*
> > 8-tracks simultaneously with his laptop, 800 Mhz IBM. Not a single
> glitch or
> > dropped frames. (He can use his multiple channel inputs on a go even with
> > the car batteries. Nice little setup.) I believe he was using Nuendo,
> one of
> > many multi-track audio softwares. This same audio software takes AVID
> > standard .omf files in and plays back video preview, while playing back
> > multiple tracks of audio.
> >

> Good to hear it worked. ;) I'd say try and do 32 channels
> simultaneously on it though. My friend who owns a recording studio
> downtown uses Mac now because with his G4 he can do 32 channels of
> digital audio simultaneously. He tried to with his PC, but he said it
> couldn't handle it even with ultra SCSI and oodles of memory.

Linux consultant in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
http://kellynet.dhs.org
---
Every cloud has a silver lining (except for the mushroom-shaped ones,
which have a lining of iridium and strontium-90).