Re: [Nolug] Mac OS X to make an appearance at the nextmeeting....maybe.

From: the Professor <nyghtgolem_at_bigplanet.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 15:43:39 -0600

> > On this note! ... hehe
> >
> > I set up a 3 node mosix cluster using RH8.0 kernel 2.4.19
> >
> > Started a build of the documentation for KDevelop 2.1.3 (?) and was
watching
> > the monitor on one of the nodes showing the load averages of all 3. My
> > cluster really sucks for speed of the nodes, but I can upgrade those as
> > get the newer pieces. It was an interesting adventure.
>
> Do they all have to be the same speed, or have the same amount of
> RAM?

That is the beauty of mosix. This is most definately a beowulf. I have one
500 Mhz k6-2 w/128mb ram, one 350 mhz k6-2 w/128mb ram, and one celeron
333mhz w/128mb ram. So the answer is no. Mosix works by way of kernel
level instructions to do load balancing.

There is an opensource version out called openMosix.

www.mosix.org
http://openmosix.sourceforge.net

There is also a beta module out for breaking I/O jobs up on the cluster. I
will be checking that out next.

The simplist method of install is to use the rpm's. They do have a kernel
patch if you want to download, patch and then install the kernel that way.
(for custom kernel configs)

Good stuff so far with it. I will be running some more tests of it's
abilities later.

~