Re: [Nolug] Re: Looking to setup a Listserv

From: Jimmy Hess <mysidia_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 02:06:07 -0600

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 12:04 AM, brent saner <brent.saner@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just my $0.02, use majordomo if you want simplicity/elegance, mailman if you
> want flexibility. I use mailman, personally. (But i also use gentoo on all
> my personal systems, if that's any clue to you as to what kind of admin i am

I have nostalgic attachments to majordomo, as I used to prefer it back
when there were (perhaps) 3 choices of software, but I seriously
could not sanction anyone using that today... even though it has not
changed at all since then (actually, that's the problem... it _hasn't_
changed at all); there are so few users. It's kind of like
recommending people use Windows '95 today with Internet Explorer 2.x
as their web browsing OS due to increased stability and less bloat.

There are security issues and bugs with no official patches, and by
all appearances majordomo development is dead. Mailman might have
more complexity, but at least it is actively maintained, as far as
fixes for bugs go. The last release of Majordomo was 1.94.5, which was
10 years ago.

I for one would not be comfortable utilizing an MLM that has
_unofficial_ patches for bugs and security issues, related to
confirmation messages and command holes, patches that were created 5
years back, when their user community was more active.

Take a look at their users and developers mailing lists. Activity is
practically zero.

Majordomo is not particularly noted for its simplicity or elegance;
it is definitely much more complex and bloated than what came before
it... simplicity can also be achieved by manually creating entry an
/etc/aliases file with list members.

Simplicity is also not an advantage if it comes at the expense of
useful features, needed flexibility, and/or ease of
install/maintenance.

--
-JH