Re: [Nolug] Linux network optimizations

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 22:26:02 -0600

On 01/25/2011 08:21 PM, Petri Laihonen wrote:
> Some time back, I was with the impression Linux has top performing
> network stack, whereas winblows did not.
>
> It turns out the default networking does not seem to be so good
> after all.
>
> I was researching the reasons why SCP transfers get stalled and
> found few lines to be added to /etc/sysctl.conf file. After adding
> the lines and "restarting" the sysctl, my SCP transfer speeds
> increased from 300KB/s to 1.6MB/s. Quite a big difference for
> networking system which was supposed to be top notch from the get-go.
>
> Sharing the wealth....
>
> I added these to the bottom of /etc/sysctl.conf file.

[snip]

> then restarted it by
> ~$ sudo /sbin/sysctl -p
>
> Voila.....

And now when u run VoIP on that box, it'll sound horrible, you'll
complain. Of course, if this box's NIC is only used for moving huge
movie files around, that's ok.

IOW, it's all about latency vs throughput. Which do you care about
on this box? Then, tune accordingly.

--
"The normal condition of mankind is tyranny and misery."
Milton Friedman