Re: [Nolug] music collection

From: David Bruce <davidstuartbruce_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 02:24:10 +0000

Hi,

> The files (mp3) are coming from a Windows computer connected to Internet.  I
> copy the files from that computer to the Ubuntu.  I'm afraid if those files
> have a virus, the virus would be on the Ubuntu computer.

I don't think you have much to worry about. "Classical" viruses were
always executable files. More recently, there have been some data
file-based attacks (pdf, gif, jpeg) that exploit flaws in the dominant
software used to handle these files. From googling just now, there
was only one confirmed "mp3 virus", which exploited flaws in the ipod
software in 2005.

Basically, with Linux you don't have to worry about viruses (except
maybe if you're running a mail server, and you want to scan the mail
to keep windows viruses away from windows clients).

David Bruce