Re: [Nolug] Samba sharing

From: brent timothy saner <brent.saner_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 14:19:45 -0500

On 04/08/11 09:50, Clint Billedeaux wrote:
> You were very polite I'd say.
>
> Thanks for the welcome.

Well! If we're all done hugging each other and holding hands (I kid!)
now... :)

> Starting from the moment I initially tried to share a folder on
the nixbox:

> I just right clicked the folder, set it to share, Ubuntu said it
had to set
> permissions, OK.
> Went to one Windows machine and I could read/write.
> I was happy, but I need this to work for 14 different Windows
machines.

> I went to the second windows machine.
>
> NO PERMISSION. ASK ADMINISTRATOR.
>
> I stopped being happy. Read a little more about access problems.
> Installed a GUI samba config program and went to work setting
permissions,
> inputting network IPs.

STOP! next time, try testing it with another 2 or 3 windows clients too.
:) it's possible that by futzing with samba even more, you made it work
less. that's not the status quo with GNU/Linux in general though.
(Ubuntu is weird like that. I'm a Gentoo user, so to me, futzing =
general progress towards fixing)

> Checked access again.
>
> Now I can't read/write from anywhere but I can see the nixbox.
> More reading. more configuring. More Samba apps (total:3).
> Now I can read/write folders I didn't set access for on my own.
 something
> was wrong with my smb.conf.
> Start from scratch. copied and pasted a basic smb.conf file to my
file.
> Now none of my machines see the nixbox.

Samba is just so... blegh. I think you're starting to meet the
nightmare. Samba AND CUPS. CUPS is getting better. Samba is..... well,
it's still Samba.

> I'm willing to start from scratch. I've tied the box into a
pretzel over
> this and I have no problem with the idea of formatting and
reinstalling. I
> just want to get pointed to the right how-to docs so I can get
this up and
> running.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure `dpkg --get-selections|grep samba|awk '{print $1}'`

should do a pretty good job of it. should give you an out-of-box
configuration for everything with samba in the name of the package. the
nice thing about GNU/Linux is there is very very rarely the need for a
reinstall. :)

> and does the group actually meet at CCs in Metairie?

i only made it out there once or twice because i didn't have a car
available to use at the time and i live in hammond these days (the
northshore is BORING. they all think linux is some kind of bird!
...well, i mean i guess it technically is, what with tux being a penguin.)