Re: [Nolug] Beowulf Cluster and Thin Clients

From: Clint Billedeaux <clint_at_fastbadge.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 19:50:12 -0500

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 3:22 PM, Brad Bendily <bendily@gmail.com> wrote:

> My understanding of a Beowulf cluster is that you have to have
> software written specifically for a "cluster".
> So, i don't think you can just run any software program on a Beowulf
> cluster and it will go out and use all the nodes.

This is one of my suspicions. I didn't list what I would define as failure,
but if I had to pick anything, it would be that special programming would be
necessary making even the experiment too time consuming.

> From the wiki article:
> "There is no particular piece of software that defines a cluster as a
> Beowulf. Commonly used parallel processing libraries include Message
> Passing Interface (MPI) and Parallel Virtual Machine (PVM). Both of
> these permit the programmer to divide a task among a group of
> networked computers, and collect the results of processing. Examples
> of MPI software include OpenMPI (OpenMPI) or MPICH (MPICH). There are
> additional MPI implementations available."

I keep having to read that part 3 times to get what they're saying, but
yeah...there seem to be libraries for doing things, but there's not a real
demand for what I'm looking at doing. No biggie. I'm feeling better about
not being in rush to do this. I still want to, just for the experience of
doing it.

> You can potentially make those $1000 desktops serve up 2-4 Terminals
> (on thin clients) but that may be more
> trouble than it's worth. Part of the problem with the whole "Thin
> client" is that they're not that cheap.
> You're talking $200-$400 a piece. When you can buy a usable dell for
> $200-$400 new or used.

Yeah, I've found some clients for as low as $50. So prices on thin clients
is still attractive. If nothing else, I could reduce the useless overhead
in our customer service department. And depending on growth in Production,
thin clients may still have a place.

So I still want to set up a small thin client network at my house to build
my understanding of the limitations involved.

> I'm not sure how you would spread ltsp over a cluster.
> I have setup ltsp, we used one server to host a web browser only
> desktop for 20-40 clients.
> As I recall it worked pretty well.

Glad to hear there was success. I need that pep talk because as you say,
how to do it over a cluster is going to be the question to answer.

> I would think that getting a beowulf cluster of LTSP nodes would be a
> real pita.
> however, after googling "beowulf ltsp" people have asked the question
> before.
> Here is the middle of a thread on another lug list:
> http://www.dcglug.org.uk/archive/2008/06/msg00116.html

Hot dog. Appreciate the leg up on the research. Even if there's no
finished success there, it will be interesting to see what others have
accomplished on this question. Thanks.

> good luck!
> let us know how it goes!
> bb

Oh if it goes well, I'll be sure to boast with specifications. Never know
who might actually find it useful.

If I fail, I will probably continue asking questions to pick the group
brain.