Re: Flavors of Linux... (was Re: [Nolug] Re: cPanel?)

From: Jimmy Hess <mysidia_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 22:38:11 -0500

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 6:12 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 05/23/2011 01:16 PM, Patrick wrote:
>> the others settings GUI vs CLI. (NOTE on other computers, I don't admin,
>> just am a user on other people's servers)
> Use the Debian, Luke!

What's that? I still use Redhat. I never seen a GUI forced upon me,
and the CLI works fine for configuring most anything...
On servers, I don't even install X -- how would one use a GUI on a system
with no graphical environment (Hmm).

You can edit config files or use terminal based TUI commands to make
any configuration change, really.

Now it is true, the Anaconda installer itself is a GUI,
Unless you build a kickstart file, that is... :-)

But well, a menu-based INSTALL UI really is useful for the initial
installation,
that's just package selection and initial network setup,
nothing like the overall system config, all which can be done from
the terminal.

--
-JH