Re: [Nolug] Re: MetairieComputers.com for Sale

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2011 01:07:23 -0500

On 06/04/2011 12:52 AM, Jeremy wrote:
[snip]

> I know that at least one other person on this list has had the all too
> common conversation with me about leaving the area because of the
> opportunities elsewhere. He's done what he can to find or make
> opportunities in the area, but let's face it, NOLA has never been a
> tech's city. I have pretty much reached the peak of what I could expect
> to do in my career (outside of management, yuck) if I stay in New
> Orleans and have come to the realization that the next step is to leave.

I've got a tech job using the OS and RDBMS that I love because I
telecommute to a data center in NY. (MAH knows where Westchester County
is...)

11 years ago, Lockheed Martin had an office in "Metry" employing about
40 programmers plus sundry others, supporting toll roads from Atlanta to
Buffalo. But because the OS was/is "old fashioned", we had a brutal
time hiring local talent and getting people to transfer here. So they
packed up and moved to D.C. and now there's 300 developers and most of
our business runs on Linux.

The only reason that I still have a job with the unit (twice sold and
now a division of Xerox) is that an executive thought I was good enough
to keep and let me transfer to his division w/o having to move to NY.

corrupt."