Re: [Nolug] Fastest way to create a local mirror of a huge tree?

From: B. Estrade <estrabd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 09:40:42 -0500

On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 09:36:48AM -0500, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> I have never done this on a local machine but rsync has worked great for me
> for machine to machine syncing. On a local network, it is really fast in my
> experience. I would assume it is faster on the same box limited only by the
> hardware.

The thing about rsync is that the costs are all upfront. Unless your
file tree changes drastically between syncs (in which case, rsync is
the wrong solution), you pay almost nothing to keep the mirror(s)
incrementally synchronized. And even if your file system changes
fairly often, you can still increase the frequency of synchronizations
in most cases to amortize the costs. If your looking for a realtime/streaming
solution, then some sort of RAID might be required.

Brett