Re: [Nolug] MEETING TIME AND LOCATION

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 25 Nov 2002 22:12:42 -0600

On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 20:08, Eddie Benson wrote:
> On 23 Nov 2002, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> > Remember, in 1995, *BSD was ~17 years old, whereas Linux was 4.
> > Is there a Linux-compatibility layer in FreeBSD? I though I'd
> > heard of such.
>
> As a matter of fact I remember reading a benchmark test running Linux Apps
> under Linux Emulation on FreeBSD and the apps performed better on the
> FreeBSD box....

And who said competition wasn't a good thing???? Rerunning them on
2.6 kernels and -current FBSD would be instructive...

> > And, unless there is that *exact* compatibility layer, you can't
> > run apps like Oracle[89], DB2, etc. Lastly, what kind of Java is
> > there for *BSD, and does Wine (and it's derivatives) run?
>
> Just remember this, whatever you can do on Linux, you can do on
> FreeBSD...it just may be a tad harder.....

THIS IS NOT CRITICISM!!!!!!!

But that just begs the question: why? That's definitely a valid
question when comparing, say, proprietary vs. OSS (because of
philosophy), but unless you just enjoy tinkering, why not do it
the easier way?

Of course, if you have native binaries, or source that compiles
on both, vive la difference...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "they love our milk and honey, but preach about another    |
|  way of living"                                            |
|    Merle Haggard, "The Fighting Side Of Me"                |