Re: [Nolug] XP over 7 on VirtualBox

From: B. Estrade <estrabd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 14:41:08 -0500

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 11:36:02AM -0500, Clint Billedeaux wrote:

> Thanks Brett,
>
> I know you're right about the technical answers. Those with the most
> knowledge and willingness to share it have very little time for certain
> distractions. I appreciate your answers as well as those of Jimmy Hess.
> Even if I continue away from your suggestions, I feel like I have some hint
> from your knowledge and experience to guide me toward other solutions should
> my own experiments not pan out.
>
> I do enjoy using VirtualBox though. It has allowed me to do a number of
> things that have decreased my workload in the office I currently work in.
> Stability hasn't been a burden yet, but I wanted opinions and options.

I've never had any problems with it, but maybe I haven't pushed it too
hard.

> I am curious about the points of network issues. I'm not running this like
> a server/client virtualized solution. My machines actually hold the virtual
> machine on their own hard drive and run it without any server involvement.

The neat thing about this model is that you can maintain a set of
"clean" VM images set up the way you like it. When you or someone
breaks one or desires to go back to zero (but not really zero, since
it's just a clean version of the way you like it), you can download
the image and start over. It's a model that we use for development
and training; and it's something others (including Oracle) do as well.

> I simply can't afford to bog my network down in that kind of traffic. I
> also have backup copies of the VMs because as Jimmy pointed out, when
> VirtualBox eats a VM there's very little you can do to recover it.

I like VB's ability to set up various networking schemes; even
creating a virtual topology on a local machine to test interesting
things out.

Brett