Re: [Nolug] RE: Perl User Group

From: B. Estrade <estrabd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 13:38:59 -0500

On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 01:25:00PM -0500, Simon Dorfman wrote:
> Dave Cash started the New Orleans perl mongers a decade ago or so. He got
> out of programming a few years back and there wasn't really anyone to pass
> on the torch to. I think the group might have petered out before that
> though. Or maybe it stopped with Katrina.

It was 2004, not quite a decade ;)

> Anyway, if someone wants to get it started again and there's something you
> need Dave to do to hand over the reigns, I can put you in touch with him.

My offers stands. I can't be the main POC, obviously.

Here is the Houston.pm site
        http://houston.pm.org/

it'll give you some good ideas on what to talk about.

We have the benefit of having some ppl who are really active in the
Perl community. For example, Reini works on perlcc - in fact, cPanel
pays him to do this.

We've had brian d foy twice because he's come to give 2 training
classes here (one Master Perl, which I was lucky enough to attend) -
so the PM meeting was scheduled to coincide with his visit.

I gave this talk back in September 2011 -
        http://houston.pm.org/talks/2011talks/1109Talk/index.html#quore

I highly encourage the reformation of neworleans.pm; and one day when
I make it back to the City, I'll finally have a chance to be active in
meat space.

Brett