Remember the 80s? (was Re: [Nolug] playing a movie)

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 07:31:17 -0400

On Wednesday, July 11, 2012 10:42:48 PM, Randy Wild wrote:
> I remember in 1984, I was 30, standing in line at a computer store in
> New Orleans East, trying to buy an Apple IIE.

I took some programming classes at the local Apple store in El Dorado,
AR around that time (a couple years after, probably). And now we've
established you are 20 years my senior.

> Never did get a TRS-80 which some friends called "TRASH-80".

Oh, and I didn't even have a CoCo. This was a Model 4p that my dad got
on sale at Radio Shack. My mom used it for word processing. Unlike
the C64, IIE, and CoCo it didn't have ROM Basic, so it took me a while
to figure out that I had to invoke Basic from the command line. You
can't imagine how happy I was when I finally was able to do "10 print
'Hi!'; goto 10".

It's the simple things.

> The IIE had a 1200 baud modem and it took me about 8 hours to update
> my stock market spreadsheet every quarter.

Five years later I used my 9600 baud modem to run up a $300 phone bill
calling BBSes around the country. My parents mad me get a job to pay
it off.

Mark.

--
What is normal? Normal is yesterday and last week and
  last month taken together.