[Nolug] RHEL6 filesystem on lvm recovery

From: j j <jdj2005_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 15:29:26 -0500

Here is one for the hard core/black belt administrators out there.

I have a blade running RHEL6 connected to a san. The storage is managed by
LVMs. Of course we had a meltdown because the SAN administrator decided to
make a change on the san, without notification, and basically trashed the
LVM superblock on the associated LUN and has no backups of the LUNS. The
LVMs can be reconized by RH but the filesystems cannot be mounted or even
seen because there are no superblocks available. fsck and vgconfigure do
not work, again because there are no superblocks. Data can be seen with a
dd dump.

Has anyone used any kind of fs recovery packages or raw block readers that
could be helpful in this situation to recover from this?