RE: [Nolug] Android phone apps for Linux cmdline geeks

From: John Souvestre <johns_at_sstar.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 18:38:27 -0500

(again, but avoiding the line wrapping)

Hi Philip.

I recently upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S4 with Verizon. I'm enjoying it, for
the most part. I haven't rooted it, but since Google/Verizon/Samsung are so
notoriously slow to fix bugs in the Android software, I've been temped.

Here are some of the apps which I find handy.

  K-9 Mail
  Google's Maps & Navigation (not Verizon's)
  Skype
  Voicemail (but Verizon charges $3 a month extra for it!)
  No Screen Off - Quick way to keep your screen live while doing something
  RPN Calculator - Yep, I still have my old HP calculators. :)
  GPS status - GPS info WiFi Manager & WiFi Analyzer - WiFi info
  Sentry - If you use WiFi at home/office, when mobile it constantly
    searches for WiFi's, and sucks power. Instead, search once a minute.
  Light Flow - Repeating notifications for missed calls, messages, ...
  Lux Dash - More control over screen diming vs ambient light level
    Note: The screen is one of the biggest power users
  Disable Increasing Ring - I * hate * that soft first ring.
  Kindle
  Note: Wallet is blocked by Verizon. Their pay service is junk.
  ConnectBot
  There are various RDP, VNC, and SFTP apps.
  Google Authenticator - Standard TOTP codes for MFA's

Enjoy,

    John Souvestre - New Orleans LA - (504) 454-0899