Re: [Nolug] Getting rid of old hardware

From: Jimmy Hess <mysidia_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 05:41:42 -0500

On 7/25/13, Lee S. Whatley <lee@whatley.org> wrote:

CRT monitors are basically hazardous waste, and there's an annual day for that.
http://www.nola.gov/sanitation/trash/household-hazardous-waste/

The main trouble with CRTs is the old ones are very energy
inefficient, so the accumulated cost to operate over time could
eventually add up to a number that would make it a better idea to
spend $100 on a LCD than to use a free CRT. If the computer is
not used very frequently, a used CRT under $20 might be economical,
but the move from a 130 to 150 Watt 19" CRT to a 15 to 25 Watt 24"
LCD is pretty compelling; using your computer actively 8 hours X
365, you could expect to save ~400 Kilowatts a year (by consuming
~50kWH/Year instead of approximately ~450kwH/Year), maybe more...
energy prices are ever increasing, but today at about $0.10/kWH
in some places, your annual energy cost went down from $45/Year to
$5/Year, so the move to LCD could have freed about $40 bucks a
year on electricity, and Energystar features on newer LCDs may
further widen the gap...

--
-JH