Re: [Nolug] Cox 2nd level technician says...

From: Jimmy Hess <mysidia_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 10:57:11 -0500

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 10:09 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> 10% packet loss is acceptable. :(

That's total nonsense. 0.10 packet loss between hosts at reasonable
latencies easily degrades TCP/IP performance by 80% or more. Should
ask.... "So then it should be acceptable if I only pay the bill 20%
of the time?"

For example, at an 100ms round trip delay (ping time), for 10% packet
loss; the maximum theoretical possible throughput you can achieve is
scaled down by the loss --- the maximum sustained TCP throughput is
limited to approximately 0.3 Megabits at 10%/100ms.