RE: [Nolug] The Internet of Scary Things

From: Todd Russell <ttr_at_groovechickenstudios.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 21:00:21 -0500

On May 11, 2015 6:57:29 PM CDT, John Souvestre <johns@sstar.com> wrote:
>The simplest, safest setup might be to just not connect them at all.
>;-)

That's my strategy. I have neighbors with open WiFi and with ISPs also now adding public hotspots for other customers into their WiFi router/modems, there is always the possibility that an IoT network could surreptitiously connect to someone else's network to get to the public net. Then there is the possibility of low bandwidth cellular chips just for the purpose of exfiltrating info. Society is opening a Pandora's box we are going to have a hard time closing back up.

In possibly related news, my latest theory is that the Apple logo is the Mark of the Beast St. John saw in his vision. It's a symbol a 1st century Jew would connect with the beast of the garden... seen on the head - people holding up their phones or maybe some forthcoming glasses or Bluetooth earpieces... seen on the hand - Apple Watch... required for buying - Apple Pay. Sure, my evidence is thin, but it makes as much sense as any other theory. :) All the more reason you wouldn't see me using Apple IoT devices.