Re: [Nolug] Perl of wisdom

From: Brett D. Estrade <estrabd_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 12:35:37 -0800 (PST)

I posted it, but I did not get around to doing it. I'll be sure to fwd the solution they send and
any new quizes that I get.
Brett

--- "michaelrflora@charter.net" <michaelrflora@charter.net> wrote:
> Somebody posted a Perl contest or quiz a couple of days ago. Well, I
> refrained from posting my answer because of the spoiler time limit that was
> mentioned. I'm not a Perl pro, but my attempt is appended below. Anybody
> got anything better?
>
> M.R.F., from Perlington on the Perl River (no, not really)
>

> #A program to read words from a dictionary and output all four-letter
> #contiguous strings that are unique
>
> open(INFILE,"questions.txt");
> open(OUTFILE,">answers.txt");
>
> $total = $false = 1;
> $true = 0;
> while($word = <INFILE>){
>
> if (length $word > 4) { #allow 1 extra for newline
> chop $word;
> $curword = $word;
>
> while(length $word >= 4) {
> $fourchar = substr( $word,length($word) - 4,4);
> if(index($longstring,$fourchar)<0){
> $longstring =
> join('',$longstring,$fourchar);
> $answers[$total-1][0] = $curword;
> $answers[$total-1][1] = $fourchar;
> ++$total;
> }
> chop $word;
> }
> }
> }
> for ($i = 0; $i <$total; $i++){
> print OUTFILE $answers[$i][0],$answers[$i][1],"\n";
> }

=====
public BrettDEstrade(){
 this.email="estrabd(at)yahoo(dot)com";
 this.url1="http://www.brettsbsd.net/";
 this.eFax="(253)484-8755";
 this.iM ="YMsg(estrabd),ICQ(46248888),AIM(bz743)";
 this.misc ="A.M.D.G.";
}