[Nolug] Re: [nolug] [nolug] spea

From: johns_at_sstar.com
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 02 00:53:27 -0600

Hi Joey.

> -- are there any dsl providers who support linux?
> i know bellsouth does not support linux -- strike one.

I don't know of any who claim to help you with the Linux setup, but I think
that many are Linux "friendly" in that you are welcome to use Linux if you want
to.

Some of the key items to ask about are:

 - What type of modem do they supply? You'll probably want an external,
EtherNet modem for the easiest and most versatile (add a router?) setup with
Linux or Unix.

 - Will they troubleshoot with you if you are running Linux or Unix?

 - Do they use "RFC-1483 Bridging" (no extra software needed) or something
else, like PPPoE which requires you to run special software. Do they supply
this software?

Note: Bridging is like being on a big LAN. Not good for security. But there
is a Cisco router mode called RBE (Routed Bridged Encapsulation). It is not
RFC-1483 Routed-Bridging (which wastes up lots of IP's). It lets the user do a
simple, bridging setup but at the ISP's router it's handed as a routed
connection with proxy ARP to fake out any intra-bridge group links needed. So
you get the isolation that a true routed connection gives.

So.... If the ISP tells you that they run bridging, ask if it's RBE. The sales
drone probably won't know, so ask him if it's like a party line.

 - Finally, consider the local repair force. Many out-of-town suppliers simply
contract with BellSouth to have their repair techs handle any on-site work
needed. As you said before, BellSouth doesn't support Linux, so their techs
won't deal with it.

[plug time!] I recommend only external EtherNet modems to my customers. I'm
happy to troubleshoot in a Linux or Unix environment but I'm not a Linux or
Unix expert. I run Bridging, using Cisco's RBE. I always sent my top repair
tech out on Linux and Unix calls - me. :-)

John

John Souvestre - Southern Star - 504-888-3348 - http://www.sstar.com