RE: [Nolug] Rc5-72 contest....

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 18 Dec 2002 12:08:25 -0600

On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 08:47, J. Kent Busbee, Jr. wrote:
> Ok, I will be the sucker that asks: for the benefit of us that don't
> know, what in the world is RC5-72? A program, modem, contest?

Instead of searching cosmic static for non-existant aliens, the rc5-72
project from http://www.distributed.net uses the same concept (hence
the name) to use brute force to do mathematical-type things.

RSA Labs has had a series of US$10,000 chalenges regarding it's RC5
algorithm. The 1st was the 56 bit RC5-56, then was RC5-64 (solved on
14 July 2002), and now, on 03 Dec 2002, d.n started a new brute force
attempt.

Even though there are 256x more keys, PCs are so much faster, it is
estimated that the new key will be found much quicker than the 1,757
days it took to solve the RC5-64 challenge. (As luck would have it,
almost all of the keys had to be examined...)

Ron

> BTW, I will not make the dinner. I have previous engagement as well.
> But I would appreciate a full report.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "My advice to you is to get married: If you find a good wife, |
| you will be happy; if not, you will become a philosopher."    |
|    Socrates                                                   |