Re: [Nolug] E-T sending messages

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 18 Dec 2002 21:11:08 -0600

On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 19:08, Brett D. Estrade wrote:
> They're already here ;)
>
> In all seriousness, I though RF signial propagated out spherically from a central point, if so
> wouldn't we actually be recieving a little bit of all the signals send from the hemisphere of the
> source planet that was facing us? I could be wrong.. I hated that part of physics in school.

Unless you have the energy of a star, wouldn't the RF energy get
disipated (in a cubic manner) over the trillions of miles, if you
broadcast it out?

> --- Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> > You are absolutely right. I was intellectually lazy, since there are
> > so many billions and billions of stars, and thus the likelyhood of life
> > being out there is a virtual certainty.
> >
> > However, the distances are so great, and RF still only travels at a
> > fixed speed, and, compared to the vastness of space, there aren't that
> > many stars. Thus, any message round trip (send, interpret, decide
> > response, respond) would take many, many decades. Also, how do the
> > aliens decide which direction(s) around the sphere to send the codes?
> > Also again, even if you send RF messages to each 1/100th of second of
> > degree, after a few hundred billion miles, there will be large gaps
> > between each RF beam. ((This is presuming that the codes are sent
> > out in beams instead of broadcast, to ensure energy concentration.)
> > Then, since a light-year is 5.87 bn miles, and that beam may have to
> > go 10 or 20 (or much more!) light-years before reaching Sol's neighbor-
> > hood, the gaps between each (now *extremely* faint) beam are enormous.
> >
> > Thus, IMHO, I don't think that even the wealthiest worlds would do such
> > a thing.
> >
> > On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 17:53, bad-magic-number wrote:
> > > On the date of 12/18/2002 12:08:25 PM , Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.
> > > net> spoke:
> > >
> > > That's a bit presumptuous... Live undeniably exists outside our Solar
> > > System based on mathematical probability... To say something only
> > > happened in one place in a universe this size would be pure folly.
> > >
> > > And it may very well be intelligent, but:
> > >
> > > 1. We might not find it since we can only see a sliver of the sky at
> > > Arecibo... 2. We may not know what to look for since the maybe very
> > > well be more advanced than us. We are cosmic infants as Homo Sapiens
> > > are a young species.
> > >
> > > And of course life outside our Solar System might very well not be as
> > > intelligent as us...
> > >
> > > Its a big universe and ludicrous to think we are singular and "special"
> > > in a cosmic sense.....

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "My advice to you is to get married: If you find a good wife, |
| you will be happy; if not, you will become a philosopher."    |
|    Socrates                                                   |