Re: [Nolug] samba PDC and vmware

From: Andrew S. Johnson <andy_at_asjohnson.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 09:52:07 -0600

On Sunday 22 December 2002 08:39 am, Tim Kelley wrote:
> Has anyone run across this?
>
> I use samba as a PDC at home, on debian/sid. Windows 2K has no problems
> connecting and authenticating to the domain. However, if I run windows
> 2k in vmware as a virtual machine in linux, it can't authenticate.
>
> The virtual machine has it's own ip address and I've added a separate
> machine account for it. It's obviously a problem with the machine
> account, but what? It's definitely there ...

Are these two different installations of Win2K, meaning you have a real
Win2k install on a dual boot box, and a Win2k virtual disk, or is your VM
using the Win2k as installed on the hard drive partition? I have a similar
situation using Win98. My Win98 VM authenticates OK, but it's a virtual
disk, not using the version installed on the hard drive.

If they are different installs, are the machine names different? Two machines
with the same name will have different SIDs, which I'm sure Windoze doesn't
like.

Andy Johnson