Re: [Nolug] ADSL/pppd

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 11:55:00 -0600

Your system still has a default route pointing to the ethernet interface
that is connected to DSL. prior to connecting with dialup (as root)
type :"ifconfig eth0 down" to turn off the ethernet interface. Once
disconnecting you'll have to "ifconfig eth0 up" AND "route add default
gw ip.address.of.your.DSL.providers.default.gw" to restore the DSL.

If you're runnig redhat or similar "ifdown eth0" and "ifup eth0" may do
the right things including adding the default route. You could add
these things to your ppp-up and ppp-down scripts so things happen
automatically.

post the output of "netstat -rn" before you dialup and while connected
to confirm what I am saying. Feel free to post that output here as well
as any relevant logs and more details on your particular linux
distribution.