Re: [Nolug] [nolug] cost of t1

From: Joey Kelly <geek_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: 06 Jan 2003 07:52:29 -0600

On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 21:02, Dave Prentice wrote:
> John,
> Thanks. I was wondering about the cost for a private school.
> Sounds like unless they have serious usage, DSL is a much better deal.

Dave,

Where I work we have SBC DSL, and Bell charges us $60/month. It's
normal, speed-wise, 1.5Mbsps down, 256k up. I've got probably 60 users,
most of whom use the net accasionally during the day, but a few (like
me) are heavy users. I am running the squid web cache, which helps out
on graphics (everyone that goes to yahoo downloads the same images, and
squid caches them so they load instantaneously, etc.). No one has
complained even once that the net appeared slow to them.

About Cox: we got a quote from them last year for a T1, which included 4
business POTS telephone lines (voice-over-IP) and the balance of the T1
was available for data, which they said would be plugged into the net at
their office. They wanted a contract, of course, but they wanted about
$550 per month for the service. I mentioned this to John Souvestre after
the King Buffet deal, and he didn't think it was such a great deal (re:
his earlier post about T1s and quality).

--Joey

> Dave Prentice
> prentice@instruction.com
> http://www.originsresource.org

Linux consultant in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
http://kellynet.dhs.org
---
missions newsletter:
http://joeykelly.net/ministry/newsletter/november2002.php