Re: [Nolug] Spam Plan

From: Dustin Puryear <dpuryear_at_usa.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:01:44 -0600

How does anyone get anyone elses public key? That would require an
infrastructure that is not in-place, and if it was in-place a whole lot of
problems would be solved (not just spam). A saving grace of this plan
though is that it requires a higher level of computation per recipient
which, like the puzzle solving solution to spam that has been offered in
the past, would make spam more expensive.

At 01:10 PM 1/10/2003 -0600, you wrote:

>I think you're right. Sounds a bit too challenging. International
>cooperation? Not any time soon.
>
>Here's another plan ;)
>
>What if everyone started encrypting email with the recipient's public
>key. It would be really hard for the spammers to get the public keys of
>all the email names they harvest. But even if the spammers should get
>your key, you can always change it. Once again this requires total
>cooperation, but easier than rewriting tcp/ip
>
>On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 12:49, Scott Harney wrote:
> > So you're suggesting a (US) legally mandated change in TCP? It's going
> > to be several years before IPv6 is going to be ubiquitous (and it took
> > several years to create). You're dreaming if you think there's a remote
> > chance of the scenario you're describing being implemented.
> >
> > And technically I don't see how it would work. TCP knows nothing about
> > the upper application layer therefore It doesn't know that a stream
> > happens to be email or any other app so how would it know to check for
> > the prescense of this bit? You're asking folks to break the TCP/IP
> > layer stack for spam prevention? Lets just stick it in the ethernet
> > frame header then so it's stopped at layer 2 (switches). You just pound
> > on the switch manufacturers to comply and take the ISP decision making
> > out the process (1)
> >
> > I'm thinking re-engineering the core protocols that make the Internet
> > work is not a viable solution to the spam problem.
> >

> > 1) Note: sarcasm.
> > --
> > Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
> > "...and one script to rule them all."