Re: [Nolug] Often overlooked technique for that extra bit of added security

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 11 Jan 2003 00:10:34 -0600

On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 22:59, Andrew S. Johnson wrote:
> On Friday 10 January 2003 10:47 pm, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > >
> > > One of the reasons I rescued an AlphaStation 400 from the junk bin at work.
> > > It will make a nice server as soon as I get some drive space for it.
> >
> > Used SCSI drives are pretty cheap nowadays...
> > http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/workstations/retired/a400series.html
>
> That's the one. Actually, used SCSI drives are pretty expensive on a $/GB basis.
> I think I'll be able to do better with an IDE-RAID card and some drives. The trick
> is getting a card that I can configure after bootup, since this box doesn't have a
> video card. Real servers have serial consoles : )

I thought the BIOSs on these type cards were written for a particular
processor family (typically x86).

Yes, SCSI disks are cheap on a $/GB basis. However, the maximum
internal storage is only 17.6GB, so you wouldn't be paying much,
anyway.

BTW, not only do real *servers* have serial-port consoles, but
real storage controllers have serial-port consoles! There's nothing
like plugging a spare VT510 into your balky HSZ80 because your
AlphaServer 4100 won't boot...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Basically, I got on the plane with a bomb. Basically, I   |
|  tried to ignite it. Basically, yeah, I intended to damage |
|  the plane."                                               |
|    RICHARD REID, who tried to blow up American Airlines    |
|                  Flight 63                                 |