Re: [Nolug] Often overlooked technique for that extra bit of added security

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 11 Jan 2003 17:59:11 -0600

On Sat, 2003-01-11 at 14:48, Andrew S. Johnson wrote:
> On Saturday 11 January 2003 11:00 am, Ron Johnson wrote:
[snip]

> Of course. It runs, I just don't have it configured to do much right now,
> since I can't load enough on it to replace the 486 I'm currently using as
> my server. If the on-board IDE controller worked, I could just take the 5
> gig IDE drive that is currently /home and put it in the Alpha, copy over
> a few files from /etc, and I'd be done. It could probably use more RAM
> too. It has 96 MB, and it uses 72-pin FPM, so I need to round up some
> more of that too.

I didn't know the AS400 had any IDE connectors. The web "spec sheet"
doesn't mention them.

[snip]
> > Bummer, dude. You could have booted off the HSZ[45]0. And the HSZ50
> > can take 18GB (and maybe 36GB) disks... Of course, does Linux
> > understand the HSZ? Or does it's firmware just transparently show
> > a very big SCSI disk to Linux? That's my understanding of how it
> > works in VMS (The One True OS).
>
> This is how it worked in Windoze, so I'd guess that Linux would be the same.
> My recollection of the HSZ was that it was really slow, and for less than
> $90 I should be able to get a new IDE-RAID controller that would be much
> faster.

"You" must not have put enough cache RAM in them. Stuffed with cache,
they blaze.

We've got an AlphaServer 4100 w/ a couple of HSZ50s, and it really
smokes doing IO intensive operations.

[snip]
> > Does your company still use Alphas? (OSF/1?)
>
> We have one or two left, and they run VMS. The one I have was bought

Woo hoo! I thought the last VMS users left the region when when the
company I work for moved it's development shop to DC...

Where do you work?

> for Windoze NT. Our Oracle databases are the only production Linux boxes

Hey!!! Billg & all of his paid shills ("independent" analysts") say
that Linux isn't ready yet. Besides, Windows' TCO is lower! Haven't
you heard?

So, you *MUST* take the database off Linux and put them on SQL Server.
You must!!!

> we have right now. Once we have corporate support aggrement in place
> (do not go there, it's not so that I will feel warm and fuzzy), we may get to
> have Linux in a few more places.

PHBs???

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Basically, I got on the plane with a bomb. Basically, I   |
|  tried to ignite it. Basically, yeah, I intended to damage |
|  the plane."                                               |
|    RICHARD REID, who tried to blow up American Airlines    |
|                  Flight 63                                 |