Re: [Nolug] Often overlooked technique for that extra bit of added security

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 12 Jan 2003 02:35:39 -0600

On Sat, 2003-01-11 at 19:34, Andrew S. Johnson wrote:
> On Saturday 11 January 2003 05:59 pm, Ron Johnson wrote:
[snip]

> Actually, my prod Oracle database was on RH 6.2 for the last 2.5 years.
> Last month I migrated it from a Dell dual 800 w/2 gigs o'RAM to a Dell quad
> 1400 w/4 gigs o'RAM and RHAS 2.1, with 14 15k RPM drives set up with
> RAID 10. Dell wouldn't have been my first choice, but I'm not a bean counter,
> so I have to get what they'll let me have based on lease rates. Anyway, it
> sucks a lot less than the last one, and it hardly sucked at all. I think I rebooted
> it three times, all because of hardware problems. I'm hoping I can go the whole
> three year lease on the new one without rebooting. That would be over
> 1000 days.

That would be mondo cool, but for 14 disks to spin constantly at 15K RPM
and have none of them, plus none of the CPUs, nor RAM fail for 3 years
stretches the imagination.

Of course, if the RAID controllers are really intelligent so that
it hid the occasional hot-swap-of-a-dead-disk from Linux, then
you may just make it.

What RAID controllers are you using? Do they allow dual-redundant
paths?

Too bad the uptime counter rolls over after 400ish days...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Basically, I got on the plane with a bomb. Basically, I   |
|  tried to ignite it. Basically, yeah, I intended to damage |
|  the plane."                                               |
|    RICHARD REID, who tried to blow up American Airlines    |
|                  Flight 63                                 |