Re: [Nolug] more alsa

From: Andrew S. Johnson <andy_at_asjohnson.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 05:35:12 -0600

On Tuesday 04 February 2003 08:00 pm, Chris Bloch wrote:
<snip>
> I changed options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1
> I am using the 0.90rc7 driver.
> I did the modinfo -p snd-intel8x0, but it only says that the module
> takes four strings of ints.
>
> I can't think of anything else to try, except maybe changing the bios
> from plug-n-play to non plug-n-play. It seems that I have a lot of
> stuff on irq 11. Any more suggestions?
>
> After that, perhaps a pci sound card. Anyone got any suggestions on
> good ones with linux compatability?

This is an ISA card? Did you compile the ISA PnP kernel modules, and
the use the ALSA -with-isapnp=yes configure option? Starting with
rc4, you need to drop the snd_ prefix on those options to:

options snd major=116 cards_limit=1

ISA cards don't share IRQ's as well as PCI cards. Most PCI cards are
supported. Check the ALSA supported sound cards matrix. Stay
away from Aureal cards. They went bankrupt, but there might still be
some floating around if you get a used card. My SBLive! is well
supported (maybe too well, in some cases).

Andy Johnson