RE: [Nolug] high-capacity disk drives & controllers

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 06 Feb 2003 00:04:10 -0600

On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 22:57, Pietu wrote:
> Hmm....
> Just go straight with serial ATA.

Does linux 2.4 support that yet?

> Or the latest trend, connect large capacity IDE drives to the SCSI
> controller with the adapter. IDE drives will go to 300Gb in a few months and

What adapter is that? Besides, what if the driver tries to issue Tagged
Command Queueing? IDE drives don't (or poorly) support that...

> you can easily hook up 15 of them to the SCSI controller. That should hold
> some pr0n DivX files. Perhaps have few of them there just for the parity's
> sake.

Actually, it's a Near Line Storage project at work

> SCSI drives are all still under 150Gb and relatively expensive. However,
> there are some semi valid reasons for their price.

Which is why we have 10TB worth of databases on a SAN using those
drives. My project doesn't need that much juice...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net           |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ ron.l.johnson |
| "For me and windows it became a matter of easy to start    |
|  with, and becoming increasingly difficult to be produc-   |
|  tive as time went on, and if something went wrong very    |
|  difficult to fix, compared to linux's large over head     |
|  setting up and learning the system with ease of use and   |
|  the increase in productivity becoming larger the longer I |
|  use the system."                                          |
|   Rohan Nicholls , The Netherlands                         |