Re: [Nolug] WIN98SE ICS Server, Linux Client Help

From: Andrew S. Johnson <andy_at_asjohnson.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 20:16:28 -0600

On Sunday 16 February 2003 07:46 pm, Bryant Stewart wrote:
> --- "Andrew S. Johnson" <andy@asjohnson.com> wrote:
> > On Sunday 16 February 2003 07:23 pm, Bryant Stewart
> > wrote:
> > > Hello Everyone (Long Time No Chat)
> > > I have just wired my house for my network, and i
> > have
> > > set up Internet connection sharing on a win98se
> > box
> > > until i get a pppoe adsl modem(for linux nat
> > server).
> > > my question is how do i get through to the
> > Internet
> > > from my linux-mandrake box. i setup the gateway
> > value
> > > during linux install as the win98se
> > box(192.168.0.1).
> > > i think that this has something to do with
> > > berllsouth's dns server and my linux box. i know
> > this
> > > seems like a dumb question, but your help would be
> > > appreciated. --Bryant
> > >
> > Who is your DSL provider?
> >
> > Andy Johnson

> bellsouth fast access

If you have an ethernet modem, you can probably get an external
firewall with a built in switch that can handle this without too much
trouble. This would be the easiest, if you have $50 and ten minutes
to set it up. If you have a USB modem, you are SOL. I'd be suprised
if a modem other than the one BellSouth provided would work on
their system. It doesn't mean that it couldn't, but I've never heard
any success stories.

Andy Johnson