Re: [Nolug] ports

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 25 Feb 2003 00:53:14 -0600

On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 22:21, Andrew S. Johnson wrote:
> On Monday 24 February 2003 10:04 pm, Chris Bloch wrote:
> > Ron Johnson wrote:

> > > Don't know exactly what you mean by "add the ports on the linux box".
> > > The ports are already there...
> > >
> > How do I see which services are on inside my box though? How do I know
> > if the sshd daemon is running and listening, and on what port?
>
> As root, run netstat -nap. The -p option only works as root, -na works for anyone.

You probably wanmt to grep that stream for 'LISTEN ', to screen
out stuff like X, gpm, any GUI app, etc.

Another crucial tool is nmap.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| The difference between Rock&Roll and Country Music?       |
| Old Rockers still on tour are pathetic, but old Country   |
| signers are still great.                                  |