Re: [Nolug] ports

From: Andrew S. Johnson <andy_at_asjohnson.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 18:14:45 -0600

On Tuesday 25 February 2003 05:10 pm, Chris Bloch wrote:
> Scott Harney wrote:
> > Chris Bloch <zaphod@sstar.com> writes:
> >
> > The port may be open, but it may or may not be passed through your
> > firewall. netstat -an | grep 22 will tell you if sshd is running
> > and LISTENing on the port.
> output of netstat -an | grep 22
>
> tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
>
> should the dotted 0's by my ip address? I am running a router that
> gives dhcp to the computer, and the router has the static ip.

In order to set up virtual server in your gateway, your computer
needs to have a static IP address. Give it one in the subnet that
your router issues IP addresses for, but not one in the DHCP scope.
I wouldn't assume that you will _ALWAYS_ get the same IP address,
even though there are only a few computers on the network. Put
this address in for the virtual server host. RY*M on pp. 21-22.

Andy Johnson