Re: [Nolug] grepping multiple strings

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 11:58:44 -0600

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> Thanks. I wonder why egrep doesn't have an "and" operator also. That
> seems like a big oversight.

There's a 'rule' of sorts that says patterns must match one consecutive
string of text. Thus, no 'and' in grep utilities. There is
another version of grep that you may or may not have, agrep, that does
indeed have an 'and' operator. I use the | method of narrowing down
searches so often I never even considered that an 'and' operator might
or might not exist until you asked the question.

--
Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"...and one script to rule them all."