Re: [Nolug] grepping multiple strings

From: Andrew S. Johnson <andy_at_asjohnson.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 13:53:50 -0600

On Monday 03 March 2003 01:14 pm, Scott Harney wrote:
> "Andrew S. Johnson" <andy@asjohnson.com> writes:
>
> > How about egrep "this.*that|that.*this". Worked for me.
>
> Doesn't scale too well beyond two search terms though, does it?

No, but maybe the example will be useful for someone.

> Believe it or not, I deliberately ignored doing that example in my
> reply for this reason. I very frequently do things like:
>
> $ grep pattern1 /var/log/logfile | grep -v ignorepattern1 \
> | grep -v ignorepattern2 | less

This is usually what I do, with the occaisional sed and/or awk
thrown in for good measure.

This is similar to the difference between a leatherman and
a toolbox. While in theory the leatherman gives you all the
implements in one single compact package, separate tools
are actually easier to use. If I start hinting now for the
Craftsman 6 zillion piece tool chest....

Andy Johnson