RE: [Nolug] php related question.

From: Pietu <plaihonen_at_uno.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 02:20:10 -0600

> At first glance that doesn't look like anything php should have it's
> hands in. If its an application layer issue, why not handle it there
> (i.e. apache)?

How would that be handled in apache?

I think some additional information is needed. The download item is being
read from the database. This is why I need to use PHP as a "delivery"
method.

If the file would be on the harddrive, apache would handle this byte-range
by itself. Businesswise this would be unsuitable solution as then the file
would stay on the harddrive for somebody to re-distribute the link.

Writing a file to the harddrive when requested, could also be done, but
after the download, there would be nothing to initiate the script to delete
this file off the hd.

This is definitely a quite interesting situation.

btw, I already have a PHP script to correctly handle files UNDER 8k. I have
no clue how to go above 8k. And this byte range request does not work all
the time.