Re: [Nolug] hardware probems, list may go down

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 01:19:56 +0000

BIND had been acting up for a while, refusing to resolve domain names, etc.
Killing and restarting it worked for a while, but a reboot seemed to work
better.

I was ok with that, I suppose, until today when a file edit somehow (I know
this is strange) resulted in redirecting my mail to that file. It was at that
point that I knew I had troubles, big time. I'm thinking a page of memory got
misplaced, or something. Also it started killing processes at random.

The only other thing I can come up with (aside from hardware issues) is
perhaps I've been rooted, and some kiddie is trashing my machine at his whim.
I try to keep my box updated, so I don't think that is the case, but I will
do a little detective work on the box once I get the new one up.

The good news is, the box I'm putting up will have a dual P3 board, though
I've only got one chip at the moment. It has onboard SCSI, and eventually
I'll set up RAID on it, and max out the ram when I get a little cash (it will
take a gig of ECC).

--Joey

Thou spake: