Re: [Nolug] DNS/Reverse Lookup and a Host file.

From: Judson Lester <jlester_at_tulane.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 08:56:08 -0500

On Tuesday, April 8, 2003, at 02:25 PM, Scott Harney wrote:

> "Wimprine, Thomas" <twimprine@stei.com> writes:
>
>> Solution (not totally implemented yet)
>> I have an event run at night that copies that host file from the NT
>> system
>> to a samba share on the DNS server. From that file I have a cron job
>> that
>> copies that to /etc/hosts. There is a utility that is downloadable
>> from the
>> Oreilly ftp site called h2n. This will parse the hosts file rearrange
>> it so
>> it's readable by BIND, however it overwrites the file that was
>> previously
>> there and I need to share it between two domains. It outputs db.stei
>> and
>
> This is a big problem actually. Since h2n is meant for primary
> imports, it doesn't increment the Serial # in the zone file. This
> means that requestors won't always realize that there's been an update
> and you'll get stale information. I'm simplifying here, but basically
> you need a way to increment the serial # each time you update your
> zone via cron. Modify h2n to get the current serial # first,
> increment it, and that write out that number in it's update.

Actually, the convention I've seen more often than not is that the
serial number be a concatenation of the date, with the last two digits
being for multiple changes on the same day (YYMMDDCC). Depending on
when the cron job runs, you could probably avoid reading the old file
and just produce the date concatenation with either a low change number
or a high change number, and a comment about what the script does so
that any by-hand changes can play nice.