Re: [Nolug] Comparative OS Stability

From: Jo Dillon <jo_at_groupinfo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:02:27 -0400

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 10:55:08AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > graphics card state, so if your X server crashes, for example, it won't leave
> > you with a hosed console showing random blips of graphics instead of the
>
> But then if X crashes, you must reboot. I guess I've never had XFree
> crash so weirdly as to hose the console, since that also would take a
> reboot to fix, I guess.

  Mmm...I've seen X crash, without killing the machine but without restoring
the display, but only once in something like 8 years, so it is a rare problem.
I've certainly had it crash and been able to just start it up again.

> > text you were expecting. Unfortunately, since actual hardware acceleration
> > lives in userspace whether you use the fb or not, it can still wedge the
> > display...
>
> Since I'm now using the nVidia binary drivers, maybe I'll see my
> console hosed the next time X crashes...

  If it crashes it'll probably be something in the 3d code; the nVidia
binary drivers do something like DRI, so you're likely to lock up the machine.
Actually, X or any other user-space driver can lock up the machine if
it doesn't empty the graphics card command FIFO properly or uses dodgy
parameters to drawing calls with most cards.

--
	Jo