Re: [Nolug] Comparative OS Stability

From: LinuxLaw <linuxlaw_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 21:53:17 -0400

Ad Hominem attacks are the last resort of the weak of mind...Bill
Gates/Microsoftee use them every day...hey Ron, pay close attention:

        Description of Ad Hominem

Translated from Latin to English, "Ad Hominem" means "against the man"
or "against the person."

An Ad Hominem is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or
argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the
author of or the person presenting the claim or argument. Typically,
this fallacy involves two steps. First, an attack against the character
of person making the claim, her circumstances, or her actions is made
(or the character, circumstances, or actions of the person reporting the
claim). Second, this attack is taken to be evidence against the claim or
argument the person in question is making (or presenting). This type of
"argument" has the following form:

   1. Person A makes claim X.
   2. Person B makes an attack on person A.
   3. Therefore A's claim is false.

The reason why an Ad Hominem (of any kind) is a fallacy is that the
character, circumstances, or actions of a person do not (in most cases)
have a bearing on the truth or falsity of the claim being made (or the
quality of the argument being made).

        Example of Ad Hominem

   1. Bill: "I believe that abortion is morally wrong."
      Dave: "Of course you would say that, you're a priest."
      Bill: "What about the arguments I gave to support my position?"
      Dave: "Those don't count. Like I said, you're a priest, so you
      have to say that abortion is wrong. Further, you are just a lackey
      to the Pope, so I can't believe what you say."