Re: [Nolug] call for help: white papers to show my CIO regarding Linux, Unix & Oracle

From: Andrew S. Johnson <andy_at_asjohnson.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 06:11:16 -0500

On Tuesday 29 April 2003 12:52 am, Ron Johnson wrote:

> > In the same way that a 747 is harder to get off the ground than
> > a Yugo is to get out of the driveway, Oracle might be harder.
> > But then, once at cruising altitude, it's basically effortless. If you
>
> You don't mean that you totally ignore the databases, from a
> performance-tuning point of view, do you?
>
> > take your hands off the Yugo for more than a few seconds, you
> > will surely crash. Once my Oracle databases are set up the way
> > I want them, they stay up as long as the hardware holds on. I take

Set up the way I want them includes tuning. Applications I write get
tuned at the database design and PL/SQL level, which is why they
fly. Vendors who suck at database design and port apps from Access
don't leave much room to work. Rewriting the table creation scripts
to use Index-organized tables and analyzing their app's SQL helps
figure out which order to put key columns in indexes, but when they
don't use bind variables SQL caching can't help. Many of them insist
on saving data in third normal form, instead of using warehousing
techniques when disk space is basically free.

> > them for granted, like the sunrise. I sure don't feel that way about
>
> Sounds like Rdb/VMS, except that Rdb is very easy to install,
> and creating new databases is also easy. Of course, it's deeply
> tied to VMS, and that kind of synergy is helpful.

Installing Oracle is also easy. Answer a few questions, click a few
times, and wait. You can get a starter database too if you like,
or use the Database Assistant Wizard GUI. I prefer to use scripts
instead of the GUI, so I can get exactly what I want. I'm just that way.

SQL server is deeply tied to Windows, and I'm sure that Micros~1
says that it's helpful, but SQL server runs only on Windows. Oracle
runs well on dozens of platforms. Apache also runs on many platforms,
including Windows. I don't see tying the application to the OS as
an advantage, but rather a disadvantage in that updates to the OS
break applications. Sound familiar?

Andy Johnson