Re: Re: [Nolug] call for help: white papers to show my CIO regarding Linux, Unix & Oracle

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 01 May 2003 20:22:02 -0500

On Thu, 2003-05-01 at 20:10, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-05-01 at 15:38, rbstrickland@cox.net wrote:
[snip]
> I remember hearing, and believing, the same thing in the mid 80s. That
> was until I worked on a mainframe and saw how a box with 0.6 MIPS (yes,
> 3/5th of a MIP!) and 6MB RAM running a relational DBMS could handle 60
> clerks plus developers compiling code.

Oops. It was actually 6 MIPS and 8MB RAM. Point still valid, though...

[snip]

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| An ad currently being run by the NEA (the US's biggest    |
| public school TEACHERS UNION) asks a teenager if he can   |
| find sodium and *chloride* in the periodic table of the   |
| elements.                                                 |
| And they wonder why people think public schools suck...   |