Re: RE: [Nolug] Missing the point (Re: updating a RedHat box)

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 17 May 2003 11:57:23 -0500

On Sat, 2003-05-17 at 11:44, jdtiede@bellsouth.net wrote:
> It's cheaper to buy a new RH distro for $40 every two years than to
> subscribe to RHN. Or cheaper yet, just download a new one and burn
> a CD.

But it's even cheaper to stay with the version you have now, and
apply patches, rather than upgrade and validate your apps against
new versions of databases, etc.

For example, I've heard of difficulties when upgrading PostgreSQL
7.[01].x to 7.2.x. (And no, there is no imperative to upgrade
if performance is good and the fixed bugs don't affect you.)

> From: "Wimprine, Thomas" <twimprine@stei.com>
> Date: 2003/05/17 Sat PM 12:06:29 EDT
> To: "'nolug@joeykelly.net'" <nolug@joeykelly.net>
> Subject: RE: [Nolug] Missing the point (Re: updating a RedHat box)
>
> If they want to continue running RH they may want to upgrade. I believe RH
> will only actively maintain the distro up to two revs. back. (They are at 9
> they won't support 6.x) So the next upgrade they will be left behind. If
> they don't subscribe to RHN I would recommend moving them to another distro.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| The purpose of the military isn't to pay your college tuition |
| or give you a little extra income; it's to "kill people and   |
| break things".  Surprisingly, not everyone understands that.  |