Re: [Nolug] updating a RedHat box

From: Dustin Puryear <dpuryear_at_usa.net>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 10:52:05 -0500

At 09:59 PM 5/16/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>Is there some update utility that I can run and sync to current levels for
>his versiion (I think it's 7.something)? I seem to remember that such was
>available from RH for a fee (which is one more in a long list of reasons why
>don't want to run RH personally). Are there third-party updaters available?
>Or should I make my client pay for the RH service?

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: As suggested in other replies you can certainly use up2date.
When I was managing a larger Red Hat Linux network I wrote a script to
compare the current system against updates.redhat.com and that worked fine
as well. Very easy to do with ncftpls and ncftp. This may be a good
solution as well. I have also seen a few RPM update systems on
freshmeat.net. You might want to dig around there.

---
Dustin Puryear <dustin@puryear-it.com>
Puryear Information Technology
Windows, UNIX, and IT Consulting