Re: [Nolug] help

From: Andrew S. Johnson <andy_at_asjohnson.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 22:21:52 -0500

On Wednesday 21 May 2003 10:03 pm, c_matthews@cox.net wrote:
> Ok I am new to Nolug, and I hope this is the way to get everyone to
see this. Ok well about two months ago I partitioned my hard drive
with Magic 8 and then put Red Hat 8 on my lap top. Everything was
fine. Now about 3 weeks ago it decided that it could not activate
eth0. So I went in manually to try to activate it and it still said
that it could not activate eth0. But when I boot into microsoft, it
has no problem hooking up to the network. I am in desperate need of
help, I have been off line through Linux for 3 weeks and its killing
me ahhhhhhhhhh. So if anyone can help please do. And if there is
any other information I need to include please let me know. Thanks
to all. By the way, my name is Craig, by my login at nolug is rewire.
Hope someone can help me soon.
> Craig

How are you trying to activate it?
Is it built in, or a PC card, or something else?
What make/model/chip is the NIC?
Does it have a static IP address, or are you using DHCP?
Can you include some error messages from dmesg or /var/log/message?
Are you using an external firewall/router with your cable modem?

Andy Johnson