Re: [Nolug] cell phones and fax machines

From: mrobinso_at_fpkc.com
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 16:17:59 -0500

Call it a hunch. I remember playing around with trying to hook up a cellular-compatible PCMCIA analog modem in a laptop that connected to a dual mode TDMA/AMPS phone. In order to do data, you had to
switch the phone to analog mode. It was sloooow -- 9600 baud theoretical maximum, I think. Once you're past the modem, it was all analog.

This is different than the cell phones (usually GSM) that, with the appropriate card and cable, look to the computer like another modem. It's also different than some of the newer PC to cellular connections. With
these, there's not really (at least as I understand it) a digital to analog conversion like you get with a modem.

You could try the fax via a digital connection. I'm just not sure it would survive the digital-analog-digital-analog-digital conversion.