Re: [Nolug] command_line question

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 19 Jun 2003 00:38:51 -0500

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 16:04, jacklinux@cox.net wrote:
> I really havent been able to find what Im looking for and was
> hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I need to
> learn more commands Im sick of GUIs and realize from growing up
> on Windoz that if Im going to get to a guru level with Linux then
> Im going to have to get my head around command line better. Finding
> commands is not so much the problem as coming up with useful
> exercises to apply the commands with checks to see if I did what
> I was trying to do. So I guess what Im looking for is a great
> workbook with some practical exercises and checks so I can get
> this part of Linux locked down a little more. Im not afraid of
> command line at all and really understand its the only way to be
> more than a luser at it.

The 1st thing is to use a different mail client.

Next, you need a *reason* to use the command line. Thus, don't use
any file managers, or gps, or gtop. If you use CUPS, learn to manage
it at the command line, instead of with a browser. Basically, make
yourself to use X as only a reason to have lots of xterm windows.

Then, you'll be forced learn the command-line way of doing things.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| "Oh, great altar of passive entertainment, bestow upon me |
|  thy discordant images at such speed as to render linear  |
|  thought impossible" (Calvin, regarding TV)               |