Re: [Nolug] Charter's DHCP (or DNS?) servers get hacked and poisoned

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 20 Jun 2003 18:16:02 -0500

On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 15:46, Scott Harney wrote:
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
>
> > http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/06/19/2325235
>
> One of my old coworkers sent me this. Actually, DNS and DHCP are combined
> at charter in all the DOCSIS systems that I know of. Typically they use the Cisco
> provided DHCP/DNS server which is a combined piece of software (it has it's pluses
> and minuses. Overall, it makes sense for the Cable modem setup and has features
> specifically designed to support that environment)
>
> The thing is, I'm seriously doubting the DHCP/DNS servers were hacked. Read down
> in the comments of the article. It looks a heck of a lot more like the user's
> windows box was compromised by spywayre/adware and that his DNS requests were
> being locally redirected. Feel free to google for tdko.com to see what
> I'm talking about.
>
> That said, the customer service reponse he received was really poor.
> An abuse issue, especially one that appears at first blush to be an
> attack on Charter-owned equipment should have been treated more
> seriously.
>
> http://ask.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=68266&cid=6255781

Ah. Somehow, my brain goes numb reading all those comments, and
I didn't see that one.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| "Oh, great altar of passive entertainment, bestow upon me |
|  thy discordant images at such speed as to render linear  |
|  thought impossible" (Calvin, regarding TV)               |